Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Five Mindfulness Trainings

The 5 Mindfulness Trainings


Where did the Mindfulness Trainings come from? They had to come from somewhere. There are three major causes and conditions that permitted their emergence. The first is the awakened mind of the Buddha; the second is the great skill of the Buddha as a teacher; the third is Thich Nhat Hanh’s insightful rewording of the Five Wonderful Precepts of the Buddha. In a language that would appeal to the consciousness of the 21st century, the Buddha’s mindfulness trainings were renewed, in tune with modern historical, socio-economic and cultural developments. So when we study and penetrate deeply into the mindfulness trainings we touch all three conditions, in particular the awakened mind of the Buddha. At the same time we also touch our potential to be similarly awakened.

The First Mindfulness Training

Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivate compassion and learn ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to condone any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, and in my way of life.

The Second Mindfulness Training

Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to cultivate loving kindness and learn ways to work for the well-being of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am committed to practice generosity by sharing my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in real need. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others. I will respect the property of others, but I will prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering of other species on Earth.

The Third Mindfulness Training

Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct.

The Fourth Mindfulness Training

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivate loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to learn to speak truthfully, with words that inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to criticize or condemn things of which I am not sure. I will refrain from uttering words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community to break. I will make all efforts to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

The Fifth Mindfulness Training

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I am committed to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by practicing a diet for myself and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes the hardest one for me is the 4th one. When I have had enough the whole world hears about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is hard but right living is not the easiest choice in a world that seems to go against everything these trainings suggest. When we study Precious Human Rebirth one point that is brought up that shows how precious life is, is the point that we ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK AT CHANGING AND GROWING WITHIN THE DHARMA! You see, most people do not even consider changing or doing the action necessary to benefit others and themselves. So you see, I am grateful that you think about number four (Right Speech). It is indeed practice not perfection. You're not alone by the way...We are all self centered, suffering beings. When I get a cold, or hurt in some way, my "natural" reaction is to believe my problems are the worst in the universe and people should really know about it....Right Living like any other habit or muscle gets easier and stronger the more we practice and make an effort.

    You're a beautiful soul!

    Bhodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Pema Chodron's book "The Places That Scare You" she talks about when people first begin training in bodhichitta things actual become worse for a little while. She states that in vajrayama Buddhism it is called "heightened neurosis". "It is not something we do on purpose. It just happens. We catch the scent of groundlessness, and despite our wishes to remain steady, open, and flexible, we hold on tight in very habitual ways."

    I believe that is so true. Whenever I try something new at first everything goes great and then all of a sudden it is like I have not learned a thing. Everything starts feeling wrong. I believe that is why I quit a lot. I can't handle the transition part of doing something different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dear Amy,

    "I believe that is why I quit a lot. I can't handle the transition part of doing something different."

    Very simply: YES you can....just allow yourself to. Tap into the Buddha Nature that is already, has always been, in you since before you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bhodi Anjo Daishin

    I am looking for the find mindfulness trainings in Italian. Can you point me in the right direction?

    bowing and smiling,
    David
    Deep Investigation of the Heart
    True path of Equanimity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bhodi Anjo Daishin,

    I am looking for the Five Mindfulness Trainings in Italian. Can you point me in the right diretion?

    bowing and smiling,
    David
    Deep Investigation of the Heart
    True Path of Equanimity

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dear David,

    Jon Kabat-Zinn has wonderful mindfulness meditation CDs in various languages. You can get his CD trainings in Italian by going to this link:

    http://www.mindfulnesscds.com/languages/italian.html

    I hope this helps you on your path...

    May you be peaceful and happy,

    Bhodi

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I truly am interested to hear what you have to say.