Friday, February 28, 2014

Refraining from the Ten Non Virtuous Actions

I try to go by this and I recite it every time before I meditate:

I vow to refrain from the Ten Non Virtuous Actions

Three of the Body:

1. I vow to refrain from Killing.
2. I vow to refrain from Stealing
3. I vow to refrain from Sexual Misconduct

Four of the Speech
4. I vow to refrain from Divisive Speech
5. I vow to refrain from Harsh Words
6. I vow to refrain from Idle Chatter
7. I vow to refrain from Lying

Three of the Mind
8. I vow to refrain from Envy
9. I vow to refrain from Hatred and Malice
10. I vow to refrain from Wrong Views

Unlike commandments that invoke guilt or sin if you don’t keep them, “vowing” to refrain from these actions shows that you are putting forth effort and you do not want these things in your heart.
It is not meant to be like “If you don’t do these then you will be punished!” We punish ourselves enough when we do the Ten Non Virtuous Actions.

Simply, my heart and soul doesn’t feel good when I hate or gossip or lie and so on so I make an effort in prayer and mediation to put my heart, soul and mind into these simple vows. We have Endless Spirit, True Nature, the All Knowing, our Buddha Nature
deep within in each and every one of us to give us the strength and grace to accomplish these. Taking a vow is more personal action. YOU want to take the action. Doing something because you are commanded to is doing it because someone else demands that you do it. More times than not we fail at that and feel guilty for not accomplishing what we were told to do. When I make a vow with virtuous intent I know I have all the strength I need from within. Within me. Within you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I truly am interested to hear what you have to say.